Monday, June 13, 2011

Aunt Peggy's Meatloaf

 

Came home tonight and was wanting something quick and fast to eat. I had some veggies I cooked over the weekend so all I needed was a meat. So I tried Aunt Peggy's Meatloaf. Got it off the Food Network site. It is Paula Deans Aunt Peggy's recipe. I omitted a few items but it still was great.

 It's a keeper!

 

Ingredients

  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup chopped Vidalia onion
  • 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/3 cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, tomato paste, onions, oats, egg, salt, and pepper.
Shape the mixture into a loaf and place it in a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan.
In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup and brown sugar.
 Slather the glaze on top of the meat loaf and bake until the meat loaf is firm and cooked all the way through, about 1 hour.
 Serve hot.

I left out the bell pepper and mustard in the sauce over the top. I will probably add it next time since I didn't have any on hand tonight.

2 comments:

Paula@SweetPea said...

Meatloaf is something that we both love but I've never made. I'll have to try your version.

Karina said...

I am such a meatloaf fan....love this version with the oats and vidalia onion - sweet and moist. It sounds delish.